During this experience at Lydia Home, I attended to the family cookout the organizations holds to bring the kids and parents for a nice meal. This night we made tacos, and I helped put the toppings on for the kids. Helping the kids is the reason why we volunteer there, but this particular day my use of language and perception of the people there was challenged.
I talked to a woman and her daughter who help there during the meals. They are local neighbors that attend church with the people of Lydia Home. During this night there, we talked about our families, lives, and even tragedies that have happened in our lives. I only met them this one time, and I was able to talk to them like I had known them for years. My perception of the people who live in the local area, and even people in general changed. I realized how through the interpersonal communication had,that there is more to people, and getting to know them and their struggles will grow the community and world together.
What I learned that I can apply to future interactions is the openness with people that allow for fluid communication. The perception change will aid future communications by helping me realize that everyone has gone through some kind of struggle, so be less quick to judge them and learn about the people I communicate with.
No comments:
Post a Comment