For my next visit to Lydia Home, I was helping at a barbeque they have every Friday for the families whose children attend Lydia Home for homework help. I volunteered my time during the set up for the barbeque. While I was waiting to set up, there was family of a mother and her three children there waiting so I was able to play with them for a while. The kids wanted to play board games, so we were playing for a while before I became busy. After we were done, I helped serve the kids burgers and desert.
When I was playing with the children and serving them, I realized their need for attention through their verbal and nonverbal communication. Some of them would just ask for attention, or act out verbally for recognition by the older kids and volunteers. Some would then act out in a nonverbal manner by throwing something, or just showing the fact that they needed something. I was able to relate this to the topics we have discussed in class.
I learned how to help people in a more efficient manner. I could use this in future interactions by realizing that I need to help people of the community out more. It was a great experience meeting new families, enjoying time with the little kids, and help to do my part at Lydia Home.
No comments:
Post a Comment