Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blog #2: Lydia Home Adventure Part 1

My first experience with Lydia Home was quite interesting. I went at an unconventional time and was watching three children in their recreation area while their mother was being tutored upstairs. The children are siblings, with the oldest being a boy and he has a younger sister and brother.  The children were very nice and quite polite for being very young.

We were having a play day. The children had snack time for 15 minutes then we were playing with puzzles, coloring, and playing pool. The young girl told me about the time they spend at Lydia Home during homework days and how the other volunteers would help them with their work. My perception of their time at Lydia Home was that they are helped very much by everyone involved with the organization.

 I learned a lot just from the few hours I spent with the kids. They were a challenge for me being so young. I learned to take my patience with the children to a different level. My communication level was adapted to be able to get my point across. I was acting like an authoritative figure and how to get my point across without turning the children against me by making them angry and not "like" me. I was able to perceive the information that the children were telling me and respond correctly in the situation. This interaction was applied to future communication by changing the way I perceive the way the children are talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment